The successful completion of the basic course will satisfy institutional requirements for 5 years, after which a refresher course is required. Researchers and personnel on new applications or added to existing research must satisfy these ethics training requirements, or the IRB will not approve their inclusion on the research team.
- BYU IRB Tutorial certificates dated before September 1, 2013 are not accepted.
- Researchers who have completed a human subjects research training course other than CITI may provide a copy of their training certificate to the IRB office with their IRB application. BYU IRB will determine whether the non-CITI training course satisfies the mandatory education requirement.
Please read the tutorial below before going to the CITI website. The modules do not need to be completed in one sitting. You may save your work, log out of the system, and return at your convenience. You will need to re-enter the username and password each time you want to log into the CITI program.
Register/login at https://www.citiprogram.org/
Subscription service providing research ethics education to all members of the research community.
Go to https://www.citiprogram.org
Click on "Register"
Step 1: Select your institution or organization
In the "Search for orginization" text box type "Brigham Young University" and select "Brigham Young University--Provo, UT" from the list
Step 2: Name and Email Address
- Enter your legal first and last name
- Provide a preferred email address
- If you have a secondary email account please provide that too
Step 3: Create your Username, Password and Security Question
- Follow the given guidelines to create a username
- Follow the given guidelines to create a password
- Select one of the provided security questions
- Enter your answer to the security question
Step 4: Country of Residence
- Enter the country of your residence
Step 5: CEU, Course Survey, Marketing
- For most BYU associated individuals, you don't need continuing education credit
- Select "No"
- Indicate whether or not you want to be contacted about a post-course survey
- Indicate whether or not you want to be contacted with marketing information (advertisements)
Step 6: Member Information
- Fill out the form to send the IRB the necessary member information
Step 7: Select Curriculum
- For most individuals it is the "Social & Behavioral Research Investigators" group.
- Group 2: "IRB Members" is intended for investigators and staff.
- For question 2: Information Privacy Security select "I am not required to complete the IPS course at this time unless otherwise indicated by your PI.
- Select "Complete Registration"
- You are now registered
- You may register with other institutions or as an independent learner
- Click "Brigham Young University--Provo, UT courses
- To complete the necessary training, click "Social & Behavioral Research Investigators/Mentors" under "course"
- Before you can begin the course you must agree to the "Integrity Assurance Statement"
- Check the "I Agree checkbox after understanding the terms and conditions
- To pass the course, you must completed all required modules and 2 of the 6 elective modules with a combined score of 80.
- Belmont Report and CITI Course Introduction
- History and Ethical Principles
- Defining Research with Human Subjects
- The Regulations
- Assessing Risk
- Informed Consent
- Privacy and Confidentiality
- Unanticipated problems and Reporting Requirements in Social and Behavioral Research
To pass the course, you must complete all required modules and 2 of the 6 elective modules with a combined score of 80.
Elective Modules (must complete 2)
- Students in Research
- Research with Prisoners
- Research with Children
- Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- International Research
- Internet Research